Newport Utilities Logo
Start/Stop Service
If you need additional information regarding starting new service, moving service or stopping existing service please contact our office at 423-625-2800.

compact fluorescent bulb

Establishing New Service

The employees at Newport Utilities are happy to be of service to you. We hope this information will be helpful to you as you apply for service, build a new home, remodel, or request stopping a service.

How To Establish New Service
If you want to establish new service with Newport Utilities you may do so by one of the following methods:

  1. New Construction Information
  2. Visit our office to complete an application or
  3. Download the application using the link below then return the completed application to our office by email (, fax (423)623-5767, or mail to Newport Utilities P.O. Box 519 Newport, TN 37822.
    Application for New Residential Service adobe pdf icon (172kb PDF, requires Adobe Reader)
    Application for Commercial Sevice adobe pdf icon (172kb PDF, requires Adobe Reader)

NOTE: The application for service will allow our engineers to spot for service line, the location of the meter, and other facilities. To schedule an appointment with an engineer to discuss your new service, you may call Dennis Walker at (423)625-2831 or Terryl Denton at (423)625-2808. They are available from 7:30-8:30 a.m. and from 4:00 -5:00 to answer phone inquiries.

Please be prepared to bring in the following information when establishing new service:

  1. Two proofs of identification from both you and your spouse.
  2. Your new 911 address. NOTE: You must first receive a Development Permit from the Cocke County Assessor's office at the Cocke County Court House before you can obtain a 911 address. Afterwhich you can reach the 911 Office by calling (423) 623-5978 for Cocke County, (865) 428-5542 for Sevier, (865) 475-4911 for Jefferson.
  3. A written notification from the Health Department regarding your septic service. The Health Department for Cocke County can be contacted at (423) 623-5606, Jefferson County at (865) 397-2823, or Sevier County at (865) 429-1766.

Deposits and Other Charges
A deposit is required for each service with NU. Current residential deposit is $300.00. A homeowner may have a credit check performed to possibly lower or waive their deposit. Please see Residential Deposit Policy and Commercial Deposit Policy for more information. In addition to the deposit, service charges will apply, along with the electrical inspection fees. If available, water and wastewater fees apply also.

Also, in some instances a customer may be required to pay up-front money to cover line extension expenses; our engineers will advise you.

Important Information
- NU engineers MUST spot the location for your meter base.
- You are responsible for setting your service pole for a mobile home, temporary service pole or an underground pedestal.
- The State Inspector works in our service area on Monday and Wednesday only. Please call ahead to schedule an inspection.

Tree Trimming
In some cases you may be required to trim and/or cut trees before the poles and lines are set; our engineers will advise you.

Tenants are required to bring a signed Renters Lease Agreement from the landlord when renting.

Contact Us                         Career Opportunities                         Resource Links